As a competitive swimming club, Wey Valley offers various opportunities to compete:
We have three types of galas - all are co-ordinated through Swim Club Manager, but as it is a big job, there are three of us from whom you may see invites/information:
- Team galas - the team is selected by the coaches, each gala has a different format of events and age groups so the team picked will depend on who is fastest/training the best at that time for each event. The invites for these galas come out from me - Estelle Spencer is on the committee as Competitions Secretary, and is responsible for the overall gala calendar, which is coordinated with Sarah Gregory and Claire Din. We currently compete in the Rother League, and National Arena League.
- Open Meets - these are licensed events and open to anyone to enter, they are a good way of getting updated times or times for events you have not tried before. The invites come out from our Open Meet secretary, Claire Din. Your coach can give you guidance on which events to enter if you are unsure. Claire also sends out invites for the Surrey age group championships, for which you will need a licensed qualifying time to enter. This is also true for the South East Regional, and National age group championships.
- Internal club meets - our summer sprints (June/July) and winter club champs (Nov/Dec) are also licensed events. We have special software (Hytek Meet Manager) which we use to run them. These events are run by our Hytek expert Sarah Gregory and invites will come out with her name on them.
Competition is important for members of the club’s competitive squads, who are expected to:
- Take part in our two annual internal club competitions.
- Represent the club at galas (if invited).
- Participate in a couple of open meets each year.
Competing is entirely optional for anyone swimming for fitness. We arrange more informal events for swimmers in our lessons.
NB. Licensed galas are graded Level 1-4 depending on a number of criteria. Our club championships are the lowest level (4) and do not require swimmers to be category 2 registered. However, many team galas, open events, and county and regional championships will be Level 1-3 which require swimmers to be category 2 registered. Current Swim England regulations require swimmers to be a minimum of aged 8 in licensed events.